Saturday, May 3, 2008

Last Day in Bangkok

We spent the morning at the swimming pool at the hotel and then headed to Central Chidlom for lunch. I've read very good things about the food court there, called the Food Loft, and it didn't disappoint. There were food of all nationalities and a desert section with items like fried cheese cake and fried ice cream. The food was good, cheap and the service is fast. We were going to go out to dinner tonight to celebrate our last day in Bangkok but I can't muster up the energy and patience to deal with the traffic and the heat. So once again, we ordered in.

Sydney started calling me "Mom" yesterday instead of "Momma" or "Mommy," and I don't like it. I tried to get her to call me Mommy again but I was only partially successful. Sydney started calling Mommy in March and in a blink of an eye, we've arrived at Mom. How did we go from a little baby calling me Momma to a toddler calling me Mommy to a kid calling me Mom??? Sydney has started greeting me with "Hi ya Mom. How are you?" recently, and it always puts a smile on my face.

I've started talking to Sydney in Vietnamese in the last couple of months. There was no way that I was going to return to Dallas and face my parents when Sydney can speak Chinese and not Vietnamese. I already got an earful about her lack of language skills when we met my parents in Saigon. She's picking it up fast, although she sounds like an American speaking Vietnamese. I'm sure that it is because I speak Vietnamese like an American.

No comments: