Thursday, May 1, 2008

More Bangkok Fun

We went to the Wat Phra Kaeo this morning. This temple is also known as the Temple of the Holy Jewel Image or the Temple of the Emerald Buddha. It is located next to the Grand Palace so we were able to walk around the grounds of the palace but we were not allowed to enter the palace.

We arrived at the Palace an hour after it opened and the grounds were already packed with tour people. Sydney had to stay in the stroller the entire time except for when we rested in the shade to get out of the sweltering heat. It was already 85 degrees at 9:30am -- a reminder of what it will be like when we move back at the end of the month. I've been to this temple before and I am still amazed at its opulence. Sydney didn't enjoy this temple as much as the others. She was mostly confused about the numerous colorful statutes. And because of the crowds, she wasn't able to run around and touch things. I thought that she was bored but she didn't want to leave. Sydney has been a such a trooper on this trip. Even with the heat and the crowds, Sydney never whined or insisted that we return to the hotel. I'm usually the one that needs to return to the hotel to rest.

After a short rest at the hotel, Sydney and I went to Le Dalat for a Vietnamese lunch. I had the pho soup, which was great, and Sydney had the marinated beef with noodles, which was also a hit. Sydney feel asleep in my arms while we were waiting for the food. I didn't bring our stroller because we were not planning to walk around. After watching me painfully try to eat the soup with one hand while trying not to spill any of it on Sydney, the waitress kindly offered to hold Sydney while I ate. Luckily she woke up as soon as I finished my soup and was able to eat her lunch.

After lunch we went to the Four Seasons to play a bit before having tea service. Because of the traffic, it wasn't worth our time to go all the way back to our hotel and then have to leave for the Four Seasons shortly thereafter. The Four Seasons has a great courtyard with fish and turtles and the manager of one of the restaurants gave Sydney 2 pieces of bread to feed to the fish. Sydney threw the first one in the water whole and was disappointed that nothing happened. But once the manager showed her how to tear off small pieces and throw them in the water, Sydney had a great time watching the fishes fight for the bread. This Four Seasons hotel was the first luxury hotel that I had ever stayed in, which started an expensive vice. Actually, I paid $139 a night to stay there 5 years ago --- it's quite a bit more now.

We returned to the hotel after tea service to relax. I was going to take Sydney to the swimming pool but I was too tired. Sydney has been off her schedule since we've been here. She gets up at 5am, takes about an hour nap instead of her usual 2 hours, and doesn't go to bed until about 9pm. I hope that this is a temporary schedule.

No comments: